Monday, November 29, 2010

Roasted red pepper dip and the yamas

Patangali is often considered the father of yoga-he compiled the blueprint for living a moral life and incorporating the science of yoga. At the centre of his teachings are the eightfold path of yoga-simplified these are the asanas (poses), pranayama (the breath), yamas (social behaviour), niyamas (inner discipline), pratyhara (withdrawal of senses-concentration), dharana(focus on one point).

When I am travelling I often spend alot of time in my hotel room at night thinking...alot. Often this ends in some earth shattering revelation about myself that I haven't acknowledged or was in denial about. Ultimately, this begins a lengthy internal debate (I am a Gemini so that is nothing new!) on whatever the issue I am having with myself and ends with either finding harmony as I resolve my analysis of myself (are you still with me?) or total frustration.

So, tonight while I was engaged in a truly great roasted red pepper dip at the hotel lounge I began to think about virtues, specifically those associated with the the yamas : non-harm to others/yourself, truthfulness, not-taking what is not offered, sense control and take only what is required. The association with the roasted red pepper dip is that I was really into a serving that two people could have woofed down (the "not taking more than what is needed" part of the virtues I am getting at here). I will be eating salad for the next day to balance the my indulgent behaviour.

The point is, no matter how virtuous we try to be, there will be occasions when we slip-we are human: whether it is the 3rd or 4th glass of your favourite wine; when you are overly critical of yourself, your appearance, your behaviour; when you muscle through your day instead of taking the time to breathe and so on it goes. The most important thing is to find self-acceptance, ignore the negative self-talk; focus on your achievements and when you do feel as if you took more than you should, find balance-the objective is to be in harmony with yourself.

No comments: