Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Gayatri Mantra & its meaning

Occasionally I like to play some music with a mantra in it during the more stressful days of my professional career. One of the most beautiful pieces of music using the Gayatri mantra is by Deva Premal (hear it at:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfKigD3vY8A&feature=related).

So what is the Gayatri Mantra? Repeating the mantra is said to inspire wisdom, spiritual growth and development-I find it brings peace and can be infectious-the more I start to chant it, the more inspired I become.

Each letter of the mantra and the 14 sounds when spoken all have significance.

The mantra:
AUM BHOOR BHUWAH SWAHA
TAT SAVITUR VARENYAM
BHARGO DEVASAYA DHEEMAHI
DHIYO YO NAHA PRACHODAYAT.

Its meaning is that "May the Almighty God illuminate our intellect to lead us along the righteous path". The mantra is also a prayer to the "giver of light and life" - the sun (savitur).

Namaste & looking forward to getting the studio open for the summer session!

1 comment:

Everyday Superhero said...

One of my fave from Deva Premal and Miten. I met them a few years back at the yoga conference in Toronto. Wonderful and inspiring people.

Mantra music is so peaceful. I played Deva and Snatam Kaur during my first labour. Almost everybody that walked in the room (and I was there for a VERY long time) remarked at how beautiful it sounded.