Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Remembrance and Gratitude

A few years ago my husband and I were in Holland for work and travelled to the community of Holten, the site of the final resting place for @ 1600 Canadian soliders. My husband's uncle, after whom he was named is resting here. I was struck by the sheer beauty of the cemetery and the kindness and dedication of the Dutch people in maintaining each of the graves. After finding the resting site for my husband's uncle, I began to walk among the remaining sites: 18, 19, 20 year ages etched onto the headstones from all provinces stood out-I found myself in tears reading how young these men were. We found ourselves stopping to reflect and pay homage at all of the graves of these young men-their sacrifices so profoundly visible standing there in the beautiful countryside surrounded by all of those headstones.

The month of November is associated with the concepts of Remembrance and Gratitude-remembrance for those who fought (and continue to fight) so valiantly to maintain freedom and thankfulness for their efforts. Although we stop and reflect on November 11 for the sacrifices that were made so we can enjoy our freedom, we can cultivate the virtue of gratitude daily to help us move with ease through life and grow spiritually.

Being grateful in all aspects of life is essential to a person's well being. Appreciating your family, your friends, your job, and anything else conducive to happiness facilitates your physical and emotional health.

Take a few minutes of your day to reflect on what you have to be grateful for-your health, your family, your freedom, etc. You will find it easier to move through your day by bringing on a sense of inner peace.

This month, as I pause to reflect upon the sacrifices made by those selfless men and women and their families in our military and to Tracy, who I am in awe of every time I reflect upon the sacrifices she makes daily to ensure individual rights and freedoms are protected. I am so truly proud to call you sister-you are our rock.

No comments: